Wednesday 23 October 2013

Saturday morning - it's hard to say goodbye

I chose, wrongly, to go home Friday night and do the 6am and onwards runs to the station to give Gaz and Russ a chance to sleep after the 3.30am airport run.

I expected all the goodbyes to be difficult, but I wasn't ready for exactly how difficult. I'm not someone who is known for showing a lot of emotion anywhere - I've been called both cold and distant probably with good reason, but just because I don't show them doesn't mean I don't feel them and I didn't try to hide how sad I was at all the goodbyes.

It was great that people were already talking about the next RYE event or going to the 2014 seminar in Denmark but that didn't apply to me so it would be the last time I would see them

For the me the hardest ones were the prep team, both England and International - knowing how much work that they had put in and knowing how well it had gone.

In between runs to the railway station, I mostly tidied up and vacuumed - I was glad of something to do because waiting for the next set of goodbyes with nothing to do would have been too hard to take.

By lunchtime all but those who were driving had gone, the people from Malvern Outdoor were happy and it was time to go. I think we all lingered a little bit because it was quite literally the end once we got in the cars and went but after a few more hugs and handshakes we went... and it was over

No comments:

Post a Comment